Barilla is committed to purchasing 100% of its rye and rye flour in the same countries in which the processing plants are located, namely Germany and Sweden.
If the rye from these countries is not suitable for quality production due to adverse weather events, Barilla purchases it in neighboring countries to ensure the best blend.
In 2017 Barilla purchased 100% in Germany and 99% in Sweden.
100% OF PRODUCTS ARE PALM OIL-FREE
Of all the cereals, rye is the richest source of dietary fiber. A diet rich in rye can make a major contribution to achieving the recommended daily intake of wholegrain cereals, and rye is known to improve intestinal health.
Wasa's rye-based products are:
- 90% products with low sugar content.
- 100% products with high fiber content.
- 65% products made of wholegrain cereals.
Rye is a valuable cereal containing many fibers and minerals. Barilla is conducting intensive research to show its nutritional and health benefits, called. Rye Power.
- 1 platform for innovation and research concerning the benefits of rye: Nordic Rye Forum.
- 2 key partnerships: the Swedish University of Agricultural Science in Uppsala and the Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenborg.
We revised 100% of our recipes for filled snacks in 2017, to reduce the ingredients and improve the recipes. As a result, we replaced 100% of our processed cheese.
Most of Wasa's production takes place in two plants: Filipstad in Sweden and Celle in Germany.
The electricity used to power our production processes is purchased from suppliers who certify that it originates from a renewable source, by means of Guarantee of Origin (GO) certification.
Since 2010, Barilla has reduced CO2 emissions by 82% and water consumption by 15% per tonne of Wasa product at the Filipstad and Celle plants.
70% of products transported from Sweden to Norway and between Germany and Sweden travel by rail, thus reducing CO2 emissions by 1,612 tonnes compared to the use of 100% road transport.
In addition to Sweden, the other Nordic countries are the main markets for Wasa products: Wasa is sold in over 50 countries, from Scandinavia to America.
100% of the packaging of snack products has been redesigned to communicate naturalness. 99% of the packaging is recyclable.
Love of nature, active lifestyle, the family friendliness and progressiveness.
1 new communication campaign based on the new brand values, with a strong emphasis on the message Good for You, Good for the Planet.
We launched several new products in 2017:
- 2 organic products: one made with rye and one with wheat.
- 1 heritage grains product made with spelt and chia.
- 2 new gluten-free products.
- Our first vegan snack filled with hummus. With 100% vegetable proteins and 40% less fat than cheese snacks.